The mystery origins of the Bagpipe

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The mystery origins of the Bagpipe

Post  Sputnik on Wed 24 Nov 2010, 16:57

Because in most times and cultures bagpipes were peasant instruments and associated with persons of low social status such as shepherds and farmers and even (gasp!) Gypsies - not much seems to ever have been written about them. Writers tended to concern themselves with matters of interest to their more sophisticated audiences - courtly concerns, politics, philosophy, warfare and of course religion. Bagpipes, unlike some other instruments, played little or no role is these arenas and so were no more likely to be chronicled than was peasant footwear.

There are several probable reasons for the lack of historical information about bagpipes. The instruments themselves, made entirely or almost entirely of organic materials, are not durable in any long-term sense. With certain relatively modern exceptions, they were instruments of the "common" people - they were used, probably somewhat roughly without concern, outdoors. People did not collect them, or hang them on a wall - and even if someone tucked away grandpa's pipes, poor storage conditions would have been the end of them before long.

This stone carving, from a throne room in the Assyrian palace in Nimrud (but presently resting in the British Museum) dates to about 800 B.C. The warrior is assisted by a "skin-float," probably a goat-hide. Other features shown in these palace-carvings are highly realistic, so this bag is probably depicted accurately. Note that the bag is equipped with a blow-pipe through which the swimmer can replace air that has leaked. Tie a simple reed-pipe into this device and Presto!, we have a bagpipe. It doesn't seem like it would have taken much of a leap of imagination to put something like that together.

The later Romans, who are often credited (despite a lack of hard evidence) with bringing bagpipes to Europe from North Africa, also employed similar skin-floats. What connection these, or those of the Assyrians, might have had to bagpipes is intriguing, but ultimately remains speculative.

http://www.hotpipes.com/history.html

"CELTAE" "EUROPE" "CELTIC" OR CELTS OF EUROPE.

Bulgarian girl playing bagpipe (kaba gaida). This is the music of Rhodope Mountain. Watch the whole video it's amazing! Enjoy!

Bulgarian Bagpipe music:

Croatian bagpipe "Gajdy":

Croatian bagpipe "Diple":

Romanian bagpipe:

Hungarian bagpipe Duda:

Serbian Erske bagpipe:

Thracian (Greek) Bagpipe:

Italian Bagpipes:

Turkish Tulum Bagpipe:

Iranian Ney-an-Ban Bagpipe:

Hey...maybe Scotia derives from Sythia? As well as Alba and Albion derives from Albania?

You be the judge....Kapis,

hope you enjoyed my little excursion into the little known world of the ancient balkan bagpipes.

Sputnik

Back to top Go down

Re: The mystery origins of the Bagpipe

Post  KapitanScarlet on Wed 24 Nov 2010, 23:10

Yes that was a nice video , but almost reminded me of flatleys linedancers in some moments of the visuals, but i already know that baqpopes have 2 sides to them, they can be beautiful and they can drive you xxxing crazy Very Happy

There are several probable reasons for the lack of historical information about bagpipes.
See Duke of Cumberland for destroyed scottish mystery records

will check the other vids as i go (;
KapitanScarlet
Admin

http://darythymdivine.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sputnik on Thu 25 Nov 2010, 13:21

ALBANIAN MEN - in Kilts? What a Face

Check THIS out: http://www.jogg.info/32/bird.pdf

And maybe you like to see this:

A short walk trough the Balkans

Sputnik

Back to top Go down

Post  KapitanScarlet on Mon 29 Nov 2010, 16:28

do u have a hoiliday flat in the balkans that u can lend me the keys for, i can experience then personally the mysterious sites of the land
KapitanScarlet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sputnik on Mon 29 Nov 2010, 16:43

Hehe, my parents don't let me on the Island more than twice a year, next year they are going to retire and then will live mostly over there in the year on the sunny side of life...
right now they are refurbishing the house entirely and even put a new roof on...

Sveti Illja

Pinetrees on da beach

Orebić

Korčula

That's where we are located at..it's at Marko Polo's birthplace. pirat
Sputnik

Back to top Go down

Post  Sputnik on Sat 04 Dec 2010, 03:28

Here is a little clip of mine:

Sputnik

Back to top Go down

Post  KapitanScarlet on Sat 04 Dec 2010, 13:17

Looks nice, i always like to see things through anothers eye , what about some thoughts next time Idea to accompany the images
KapitanScarlet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sputnik on Sat 04 Dec 2010, 14:35

"The Mediteranean as it once was" and "the living past of Europe" would be my statement, Croatia is one of the last unspoiled places of Europe with prestine nature, our country is the same size as Switzerland (8 million people) but we have only half of our Population
(4 million) living in Croatia. 60% to 70% of the country is real untouched nature with ancient forrests..we have many animals that are exstinct everywhere else in western Europe: lynxes, wolfs, bears, vultures, eagles, snakes, scorpions, and many other species..we have the cleanest Mediteranean sea water and the largest water reservoir of Europe next to Finland, we have our own oil and gas resources and a very ancient history.

Oh and I forgot, we play bagpipes..too! Razz

I would also have to mention that each region has their own traditional clothing due to the local traditions and the three different climate zones (Europes only place to have 3). The prevailing climate in the country’s interior is moderate, a forest climate with snow falls (Alpine) , while the areas along the Adriatic coast have a pleasantly mild Mediterranean climate. Croatia extends from the furthest eastern edges of the Alps in the north-west to the Pannonian lowlands and the banks of the Danube in the east. Its central region is covered by the Dinara mountain range (which cuts the Mediterranean climate and creates central region climate) , and its southern parts extend to the coast of the Adriatic Sea. The Coast has more than 1000 islands of which many are privately owned by the local farmer peoples, most habitated parts of Croatia is owned by it's people. Only since a couple of years are foreigners allowed to buy pieces of land (with restrictions), and local people are also facing restrictions on selling their land (to protect the country). My mother for instance owns two farming parcels, one old farmers house (1900) and a nice house (1990) on an Island. And she is suposed to come from "the poorest of the poor". Croatians are not poor, they are treated bad in Europe because they have their own pace and resist various vicious takeover-attempts since a thousand years.

World Heritage Sites are:

* Historical Complex of Split with the Palace of Diocletian from 300 BC. (1979)
* Old City of Dubrovnik (1979)
* Plitvice Lakes National Park (1979)
* Episcopal Complex of the Euphrasian Basilica in the Historic Centre of Poreč (1997)
* Historic City of Trogir (1997)
* The Cathedral of St. James in Šibenik (2000)
* The Stari Grad Plain – island of Hvar (2008)

National Parks are:

* Plitvice Lakes (Croatian National Park since April 8, 1949)
* Sjeverni Velebit (Croatian National Park since June 2, 1999)
* Paklenica (Croatian National Park since October 19, 1949)
* Krka (Croatian National Park since January 24, 1985)
* Kornati (Croatian National Park since July 24, 1980)
* Mljet (Croatian National Park since November 12, 1960)

No other Country in Europe has that many National Parks, I would say Croatia itself is "THE NATIONAL PARK" of Europe: Razz

Not bad for such a small country...

While most western Europeans are pretty much disenfranchised from their traditional and cultural roots, these roots are most important to us and play a vital role in Croatian identity and politics, and that's why I think we are NOT compatible with the E.U. requirements. I am also oposed to Croatia's membership in the Nato, we were FORCED to join, I hope we will escape the E.U. and leave Nato as soon as possible. If you are interested to understand what "DIASPORA" means you should check out "Croatian Diaspora"...4,5 Million Croats are living abroad like myself, that's more than people living inside the motherland. (similar to the Irish situation). When I retire or even before that I want to move back to Croatia even though I was born in Germany ( I definetely want to die in Croatia and not Germany) even though I am a bit "strange" to them...but they accept their "lost children" and are proud of anyone who made a good living outside which is actually everybody that left... (unlike Turks, who hate those trying to return).

I have family in New York, my uncle is very nice but his children are ashamed for their croatian origin, what a joke! I had an uncle in Sydney but he died and I don't know his children, I had an uncle in the South of Germany who died 2 month ago, his children grew up like I did. Half of our family had to immigrate to literally escape starvation at some point, and that even though we have a rich country.

Of course I have still plenty of relatives in Croatia, my clan owns half a mountain and a local cementary near Zagreb Razz

...it's strange to go to a cementary were ones family name and that of a couple other clans is on every fifth gravestone.. Shocked

What about you, Kapis...got some stories of your european roots?
Sputnik

Back to top Go down

Post  Sputnik on Sun 05 Dec 2010, 12:50

Here is a nice page (in english) on old croatian instruments including the different types of bagpipes:

http://www.gajde.com/
Sputnik

Back to top Go down

Post  KapitanScarlet on Sun 05 Dec 2010, 21:07

got some stories of your european roots?

Yip,
its not something i utter in public, but just this once
i am an experiment , bourne from a copulation between God and the Devil , their purpose being to monitor how an equal mix of each influence shall evolve in opposition to itself .
The winner takes it all Wink the loser will stand small Crying or Very sad

i am a true gambler at heart in the spirit world, hence i took up this great challenge that my birth initiated for the sake of aquiring the secrets of being

On the physical level, one side traces back into the misty mountains of ancient scotland, the other side likewise with a possible jump from france
Back in the present, i am homming in on the treasure that sits under the rainbow
KapitanScarlet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sputnik on Sun 05 Dec 2010, 21:47

Looks nice, i always like to see things through anothers eye , what about some thoughts next time to accompany the images

"got some stories of your european roots?"

I wasn't expecting you to give me a genuine reply, for that I understand the english mindset too well.

It was a sarcastic return-question, because I already knew the outcome...lol! I need some fun too..sometimes.
Sputnik

Back to top Go down

Post  tgII on Thu 22 Mar 2012, 11:53

Hey...maybe Scotia derives from Sythia?

Yes, and they are in Scotland today essentially.

tgII

Back to top Go down

Post  Sputnik on Fri 30 Mar 2012, 06:12

Cool TG, thanks ... I heard the 'british' Scythians reconsider "Independence" these days Smile

Sputnik

Back to top Go down

Post  KapitanScarlet on Fri 30 Mar 2012, 21:19

Thats right Kersti , the pyramidic cross section of the union is now looking p its own ass and not liking the smell at all
KapitanScarlet
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top